Join the team that is changing radio and online newspapers in every market we enter. Local Voice is a unique business model in which online newspapers are powered by Hometown radio stations.
The dominant voice in the future of local markets will not be the local newspaper, the local radio station or the local television station; it will be the local media company, delivering local content across a number of platforms. In the Hampton Roads Market it is Local Voice.
We are currently looking for hard working sales people, who are eager to be a part of an elite team of sales professionals!
Chief of Staff / Executive Assistant
Local Voice is headquartered in Williamsburg, Virginia with additional locations in Wilmington, North Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina and Virginia Beach, Virginia. The Chief of Staff/Executive Assistant will be responsible for the coordination of activities (operations and planning) and ensuring timely flow of information to and from the executive office. Strong candidates will have an executive aspiration and a committed work ethic. Additionally, ideal candidates have an understanding of and an appreciation for media and technology, and demonstrate strong initiative, resourcefulness, and sound independent judgment in handling a wide variety of complex and specialized strategic, communications, and administrative functions in a fast paced environment. S/he will be required to be available during regular business hours, evenings and/or weekends, on occasion/as needed to provide support and assistance to the CEO. Some travel may be required.
- Executive Professional, right hand to the CEO essentially responsible for managing the operations of the CEO’s agenda and projects.
- Ability to anticipate the CEO’s needs, act accordingly, and proactively bring together appropriate people and resources to support the executive in addressing issues.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making protocols are followed.
- Ability to manage, coordinate, and execute various projects involving personnel both in and out of the office.
- Represent the CEO in a professional and congenial manner in person, in telephone conversations, and in written correspondence.
- Handle confidential information in a professional and discreet manner.
- Manage external contacts for CEO, proactively understanding who they are, which are priority contacts, and keeping track of periodic communication needed for priority contacts.
- Provide regular feedback/updates on the progress of assigned projects.
- Planning and scheduling meetings and appointments
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, and presentations including additional research as needed.
- Corporate calendar management and assist with coordinating and scheduling of department, market and ad hoc committee meetings.
- Proactively and resourcefully plan, organize, coordinate, schedule and communicate various internal and external meetings (firm, board, civic and personal) with great attention to detail.
- Help CEO manage output, workflow and office deadlines
- Assist the CEO in all tasks and functions as required. This may include events, travel plans, special projects, meetings, and client customer service.
- Develop and maintain a system that alerts to upcoming deadlines on incoming requests or events.
The successful Executive Assistant candidate will have the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to analyze and prioritize business-related requests
- Strong execution of organizational skills
- Respect for, and maintenance of, confidential and private matters
- Strong knowledge of Google Applications (Mail, Calendar, Drive, Hangout, Analytics)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Effectively interact with all organizational levels and is a team player
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
If interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief note of introduction along with a resume.
Managing Editor, Reporters
Local Voice is launching its fourth online daily newspaper powered by its Hometown radio stations, 102.1FM/1490AM The Tide in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
We’ll need a managing editor to steer this ship and a team of reporters to deliver on local news on Virginia’s Southside.
News isn’t printed on paper anymore. By the time the ink dries, it’s old. Real news is delivered instantly, and that’s why we’re building a digital news platform for our hometown. It’s not just a great idea; it’s a great idea that works and that’s why we are hiring to launch in our fourth market.
We want an editor who will mentor reporters, provide story guidance, edit and be a “player coach” when necessary, whether that means turning around a story, filling in to cover a day at a trial, sending the morning headlines, hopping on-air to do the news or wherever/whatever the need would be.
We want reporters who are comfortable heading to a crime scene, a council meeting or an outdoor festival.
Our editors and reporters live and work in the communities they cover, giving them a stake in reporting the news that happens here and on the people and organizations who make our communities tick. We don’t localize national stories; we strive to write the local stories the rest of the world will be writing about in a few months. Our reporters are 21st-century multimedia journalists, posting their stories and photos to the web, promoting them through radio appearances on our Hometown stations, 102.1FM/1490AM The Tide, and interacting with readers through social media. Reporters must be flexible, able to collaborate and able to multitask. Reporters must also have strong writing skills, ability to self-edit and familiarity with AP Style. Some night and weekend work is necessary, and Local Voice values community involvement.
Do you love telling stories about what’s happening in your hometown? Do you think facts are more important than opinion? Do you like knowing who’s who? Do you like telling who’s who? Can you build a beat? Can you build relationships? Can you build trust? Do you understand that “news” starts right here – at the local meetings, in local schools, and on the streets right outside our doors? Most importantly, do you understand that your neighbors are counting on you to get it “right?” Clear, accurate writing. Names spelled correctly. Facts checked and double-checked. Do you feel right at home with a note pad, digital camera for a picture and some video that you can edit for added value? Do you believe the fastest way to get the story out is on the radio while at the same time putting it on the website so listeners become readers and get the depth they want? If that sounds like you, you should apply.
Desired Skills & Experience
Exceptional writing skills. Equally exceptional communication skills. Tireless work ethic and a firm believer that you will be working for the new newspaper. You must be competitive, hard-working, responsible, accountable and fully invested in working and living in your community. If you prefer to pay attention to what’s going on only between the times you punch in and punch out, don’t bother to apply. This is for journalists who believe in the future of local news and want to make a change – and a difference – in the quality of local news in their hometown.
Local Voice specializes in launching local digital newspapers powered by our hometown radio stations. We have radio-digital properties in Williamsburg, VA (wydaily.com), Wilmington, NC (portcitydaily.com) and Columbia, SC (coladaily.com). Our model is profitable and growing, and this is an excellent opportunity to be on the ground floor. Our company has a unique and well-defined approach to business. We are looking for staff members with a willingness to learn “our way.”
If interested, please send an email to email@example.com with the following: a brief note of introduction along with a resume and up to three recent samples of stories you have written that best represent your abilities as a reporter.
Read more about Local Voice here.
EEO Policy Statement
Local Voice Media provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.